PE Lesson Plans for Elementary Students – with Math!
Are you looking for PE lesson plans for elementary students that meet academic standards? Is your school encouraging you to bring math into physical education? The Math & Movement Training Manual for K-5 Physical Education is exactly what you need! This digital book brings math and physical activity together with exercises, stretches, and cross-body movements.
In this manual, you will find over 50 lessons and activities, each designed to meet at least one of the National Standards and Grade Level Outcomes* released by SHAPE America. Each lesson also reinforces at least one Common Core Math Standard. Additionally, there are over 90 Active Math Movements designed to help teach various locomotor, non-locomotor, manipulative, and jump rope movements, while simultaneously allowing students to practice counting and skip counting skills!
Use this manual’s contents as your lesson plans for elementary PE. With Math & Movement, students can learn, move, and (most importantly) have fun all at the same time!
About the Authors
Marcia Wade is in her tenth year as an Elementary Physical Education teacher and currently works at Briceville and Dutch Valley Elementary Schools in Anderson County Schools, Tennessee. She regularly speaks at national, regional, and local conferences, conducts teacher trainings and family fun nights, and writes grants for schools. Marcia resides in Oak Ridge, Tennessee with her husband and two children.
Suzy Koontz is an educational consultant, an actuary, a former math teacher, the founder of Learn Thru Movement, Inc., the Math and Movement program, and the author of numerous books. Math and Movement is a kinesthetic, multi-sensory approach to teaching math that incorporates physical exercise, stretching, cross-body movements, and yoga. The program uses visually pleasing floor mats that allow children to practice basic skills while using visual, auditory, and kinesthetic learning modalities.
Suzy’s work has been featured in television, radio, and print. She is a national speaker at schools, conferences, and PTA/O events. Suzy lives in Ithaca, New York with her husband and four daughters.
BONUS: Includes 39 K-5 Assessments
- Kindergarten – Jumping and Landing with Good Balance
- Kindergarten – Jumping in a Horizontal Plane with Good Balance
- Kindergarten – Moving on 3 Different Levels with Good Balance
- 1st – 2nd Grade – Hopping using a Mature Pattern
- 1st Grade – Jumping in a Vertical Plane
- 1st Grade – Jumping in a Horizontal Plane
- 1st Grade – Underhand Throwing
- 1st Grade – Individual Jump Rope
- 1st Grade – Moving on 3 Different Levels with Good Balance
- 2nd Grade – Jogging and Sprinting
- 2nd Grade – Jumping in a Vertical Plane
- 2nd Grade – Jumping in a Horizontal Plane
- 2nd Grade – Underhand Throwing
- 2nd Grade – Overhand Throwing
- 2nd Grade – Catching
- 2nd Grade – Individual Jump Rope
- 2nd Grade – Moving on 3 Different Levels with Good Balance
- 3rd – 5th Grade – Running and Sprinting
- 3rd – 5th Grade – Jumping in a Horizontal Plane
- 3rd – 5th Grade – Jumping in a Vertical Plane
- 3rd – 5th Grade – Locomotor Transitioning
- 3rd – 4th Grade – Underhand Throwing
- 3rd Grade – Overhand Throwing
- 3rd Grade – Catching
- 4th Grade – Overhand Throwing
- 4th Grade – Catching
- 5th Grade – Underhand Throwing
- 5th Grade – Overhand Throwing
- 5th Grade – Catching