Interactive word building activities for preschool and kindergarten!
Introduce word building to young students who have just learned the letters of the alphabet with our Make-A-Word Hop. Phonics and word recognition activities will become highly interactive and full of movement whenever you use this floor mat! Making words will be fun and exciting for preschool and kindergarten students who learning to read.
Simply lay the Make-A-Word Hop mat out on the floor and begin word building with the included cards! At 30 inches wide and 54 inches long, the mat has adequate space for students to step and jump on without taking up too much valuable classroom space. Make-A-Word Hop comes with 23 cards which includes 12 word cards and 11 letter cards.
The Make-A-Word Hop can be used in a variety of phonics and word recognition activities. Place cards on the mat’s four colorful blocks on the top row to form words.
Have students stand in the blocks on the bottom row with feet pictured in them. Build phonics skills by asking them to make the sound of the letter in the block above their feet. Students can jump from one block to the next and sound out simple 3-letter words.
Begin with just letter cards on the mat and have students find the correct word card. Or, alternatively, begin with a word card and have students find and sound out the letters. Furthermore, challenge students to create words by only placing two letter cards on the mat.
Introduce simple preschool words and teach high frequency words for kindergarten. Watch your students’ phonemic awareness and reading skills improve as a result of practice on this mat. Best of all, movement-based learning will boost young students’ comprehension and memory retention, while also improving gross motor skills.
Overall, students will be well-prepared to keep learning sight words. Be sure to check out our activity database for more fun phonics activities!
Dimensions: 30 x 54 inches
Materials: Our floor mats are made from heavy-duty vinyl. They are easy to clean, durable, and long-lasting. Some teachers have used their mats for over 10 years!
Includes: Mat with 4 blocks for building words, 12 word cards, and 11 letter cards
- The letter cards are a, b, c, f, h, m, n, p, r, s, and t.
- The word cards are mat, cat, hat, bat, pat, fat, sat, rat, map, tap, man, and ran.
Additional cards are available for purchase.
Check out our material FAQ page for more information and instructions on caring for your floor mat.
Sample Activity: Phonics Game
- First, make a word for your students by placing three letters on the mat.
- Have your student stand below the first letter of the word. The student will say the sound of the letter.
- Then, the student will sidestep the box below the second letter of the word. The student will say the sound of the second letter.
- Likewise, the student will sidestep again and say the third letter sound.
- Next, they will step into the last box and blend the letter sounds to recite the word.
- Have the student jump three times, saying the word on each jump.
- Finally, challenge the student to find the corresponding word card and place it on the mat.