Contraction words can be active!
Contraction words can be difficult for young students to grasp. Don’t worry, our Contraction Hopscotch mats are here to help! Each contraction words list is suitable for 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and 4th grade literacy lessons.
These contraction words lists features the two words that make up a contraction with the word contraction following it. Each list of contraction words is has the same primary word (e.g. “he”, “they”, “there”, etc). After hopping on this mat, students will have a better understanding of word contractions as well as improved reading comprehension and word recognition skills.
Movement-based activities will boost learning comprehension while helping young students develop gross motor skills. Whether using it for math class or during free time, this mat will encourage active learning and collaborative play. Take a look at our activity database for more activities and sensory play to keep your students on their feet.
Materials: Our floor mats are made from heavy-duty vinyl. They are easy to clean, durable, and long-lasting. Some teachers have used their mats for over 10 years!
- Contraction Hopscotch – HE: 30 x 109 inches
- Contraction Hopscotch – I: 30 x 112 inches
- Contraction Hopscotch – IT: 30 x 113 inches
- Contraction Hopscotch – Negatives 1: 30 x 129 inches
- Contraction Hopscotch – Negatives 2: 30 x 129 inches
- Contraction Hopscotch – Negative 3: 30 x 92 inches
- Contraction Hopscotch – SHE: 30 x 112 inches
- Contraction Hopscotch – THAT: 30 x 110 inches
- Contraction Hopscotch – THERE: 30 x 110 inches
- Contraction Hopscotch – THEY: 30 x 110 inches
- Contraction Hopscotch – WE: 30 x 110 inches
- Contraction Hopscotch – YOU: 30 x 110 inches
Check out our material FAQ page for more information and instructions on caring for your floor mat.
- Have the student start on START HERE.
- Have the student read the two words that contract while hopping with two feet on the mat. (One foot on each word.)
- Then, have the student hop with one foot on the contraction and say the contraction.
- Be sure that your student says the words and the contraction correctly.
- Tell your student the words if your student doesn’t know them.
- Continue alternating between two feet and one-footed hops to the end of the mat.
- Repeat the activity until the student is comfortable with all contractions.