Have fun with these movement-based homophones activities!
The homophones lesson can be tricky for young readers since the words sound exactly the same. Help your students learn the difference between these pairs of words by incorporating movement into your homophones activities! Our Homophone Hop mats are ideal for teaching homophones to 2nd, 3rd, and 4th graders.
Each Homophone Hop floor mat includes eight pairs of homophones. The bright colors and large easy-to-read text on each mat are sure to keep students visually engaged. Seeing the words next to each other will help students recognize the immediate differences. Furthermore, movement-based homophones activities will allow them to practice reciting each word and using them correctly in sentences!
After hopping around on these mats, students will have stronger spelling, word recognition, and reading comprehension skills. Above all, kids learn best while they are moving. Physical activity boosts learning comprehension and improves memory retention. Students will be less likely to confuse homophones after stepping, walking, jumping, tracing, and skipping on these mats!
Introduce homophones for 3rd graders by having them simply hop up the mat while reading each word aloud. Practice homophones with 4th graders by writing sentences, creating stories, and reciting definitions. Each mat measures 30 inches wide and 112 inches long. With ample space for multiple students to interact, creating a collaborative learning environment will come naturally in your classroom!
Additionally, each word block on the mat has a space to place a note card. Match picture cards or sentence cards to different homophones as another way to engage students. Check out our activity database for more homophone games to play on these mats.
Incorporate movement into your homophone lesson plan and watch reading time become fun and energetic!
Materials: Our floor mats are made from heavy-duty vinyl. They are easy to clean, durable, and long-lasting. Some teachers have used their mats for over 10 years!
Dimensions: Each mat is 30 x 112 inches
- A: cell / sell, break / brake, blue / blew, beat / beet, ate / eight, alter / altar, aloud / allowed, ad / add
- B: hall / haul, hair / hare, groan / grown, great / grate, for / four, flu / flew, flour / flower, deer / dear
- C: knot / not, knight / night, knew / new, it’s / its, in / inn, hour / our, heard / herd, hear / here
- D: plane / plain, pare / pair, pale / pail, one / won, meat / meet, made / maid, lead / led, know / no
- E: seam / seem, sea / see, sail / sale, rose / rows, right / write, read / reed, read / red, prince / prints
- F: waist / waste, wail / whale, toe / tow, tea / tee, tale / tail, stair / stare, son / sun, some / sum
- G: your / you’re, you / yew, who’s / whose, which / witch, we’ll / wheel, weather / whether, weak / week, wait / weight
Check out our material FAQ page for more information and instructions on caring for your floor mat.
Sample Activity: Which Word?
- Give your student a sentence using one of the homophones on the mat.
- Have a student jump to the correct word used. For example, give the sentence: “I buy bread at the store.” The student jumps to the word “buy”.