Counting to 7 can be super fun!
Are you looking for early number sense activities for your preschool, kindergarten, or 1st grade class? Get started with numbers 0 through 7 using our Make 7 mat! With this mat, you can practice counting, addition, subtraction, and more using movement-based activities for your preschool, kindergarten, or 1st grade class!
The Make 7 floor mat is a number line from 0 to 7. Each block on the the mat includes a numeral, smiley faces representing the quantity, and the number word spelled out in large, kid-friendly text. With its bold colors, this mat will keep students interested and excited about counting to 7!
Watch your students’ number sense and number recognition grow as they jump, step, skip, and trace their way through new kinesthetic activities. Young students never like to sit still for long. The Make 7 mat will encourage active learning while helping students develop gross motor skills. Above all, physical activity will reinforce students’ learning and improve their memory retention.
Preschool and kindergarten students will learn to recognize, read, and count in order all of the numerals and number words 0 through 7. Children learn best when they are moving!
Counting activities for preschool can include identifying odd and even numbers. Teach the basics of adding for kindergarten by hopping on the number line. Introduce kindergarten subtraction by hopping downwards on the number line.
Practice numbers by matching flash cards to the corresponding block on the mat. Use bean bags, blocks, or popsicle sticks as math manipulatives to make the numbers even more concrete.
The hands-on math activities and games possible with this mat will make counting to 7 fun for any math class! Be sure to check out our activity database for lesson plan ideas. Your students’ counting skills and overall math skills will improve as a result.
Materials: Our floor mats are made from heavy-duty vinyl material, making them easy to clean, durable, and long-lasting. Some teachers have used their mats for over 10 years.
Dimensions: 30 x 86 inches
Includes: Numbers 0-7
Check out our material FAQ page for more information and instructions on caring for your floor mat.
Sample Activity: Buddies
- Notice that all the numbers have a corresponding number of smiley faces in their block.
- Have a student jump to the number 2. Ask the student to count the number of smiley faces in that block.
- State that these two smiley faces are buddies and that two is an even number.
- Next, have the student jump to the number 3 and count the number of smiley faces in that block.
- State that two of the smiley faces are buddies but there is one smiley face left over. Odd numbers have one leftover smiley face. Three is an odd number.
- Continue identifying even and odd numbers up the mat.
- If your students become fluent with this activity, challenge them by having them throw a bean bag on the mat. Then, have them jump to the number that it lands on and ask them if the number is even or odd.